links | pretty good rules | suggested reading
- The Brain
- This software will change forever the way you file your electrons.
Or not. Consider it a litmus test of your ability to innovate.
- Chief of Naval Operations Strategic
- A think tank that takes tasking only from and reports directly to
the "CEO" of the U.S. Navy. The SSG, headed by retired four-star
admiral James R. Hogg, is charged with developing revolutionary naval
warfare innovations with a horizon of 30-50 years in the future.
- Complexity Digest
- If you don't already subscibe to this weekly e-newsletter, you can
get it here. Subscribe, and then peruse the archives. The Who's Who
and What's What of the complex systems community, ComDig reports from
the front lines at every conference and from every journal relevent
to complex systems research.
- Cosma Shalizi
- A one-man innovation center, Cosma's homepage is a treasure trove
of ideas, research, links and musings. Visit it often: it keeps going,
and going, and going...
- MIT has decided that entropy is too important to be left to thermodynamics.
Every freshman may one day be required to take this course. And just
when you thought you had the thermo type figured out.
- Good Experience
- Mark Hurst is a leader in the practice of developing online experiences
- The Highlands
- A policy consulting network that investigates and reports on the pragmatic
use of innovative concepts well before they appear as business press
- Ilachinski, Dr. Andrew
- Andy's website is the Mother Lode of complexity links. His free, downloadable
agent-based combat model is one of the most insightful complex systems
tools available to the military OR community.
- The Institute for Operations Research
and Management Science
- The civilian counterpart of MORS, INFORMS likewise contains contains
links to other OR sites, publications and OR events.
- Military Operations Research Society
- The epicenter of military OR. Contains links to other OR sites, publications
and OR events.
- Where, Chris Meyer, the spiritual leader of the late great Center
for Business Innovation is starting anew.
- The New England Complex Systems Institute
- NECSI is the host of the annual International Conference on Complex
Systems (ICCS) and an important node in the New Science network. NECSI's
listserv also hosts semiannual interchanges by A-list researchers.
- Nutech Solutions
- A world leader in making complex business problems simple.
- Reiter's Scientific and Professional
- You've heard of Amazon, et alia. Reiter's consistently ships books
overnight that the others need six weeks to locate (they probably order
from Reiter's). You've got to visit their DC store.
- The Santa Fe Institute
- Legendary in the short history of the New Sciences. The SFI website
contains a wealth of information, including a list of events and links
to every working paper they sponsored.
- The SWARM Corporation
- Although the model is not for beginners, the SWARM site is worth a
surf, if for nothing else than to keep track of the state of the art
and the practitioners of agent-based modeling.